International Students

Global Education and Migration Services

Student Visa (Subclass 500)

This visa allows you to stay in Australia temporarily to study a CRICOS registered course. Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia.

You can apply for this visa while being in Australia or from overseas. The application is generally lodged online through ImmiAccount.

The student visa can be applied in various streams including Foreign Affairs and Defence Sector, Postgraduate Research Sector, Non Award Sector, Schools Sector, Independent ELICOS Sector, Vocational Education and Training Sector and Higher Education Sector.

Processing times vary.

You must have a confirmation of enrollment [COE] for a CRICOS registered course, have made welfare arrangements in Australia [if you are under 18] and hold an eligible visa [if applying from Australia, although in limited circumstances you could apply if your previous student visa expired in the last 28 days]. You must also meet the English language requirements, financial capacity requirements, health requirements, character requirements and Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements. You and accompanying dependents must also hold adequate health insurance.

Student visas can provide a pathway towards permanent migration in Australia.

Before your student visa expires, you may be able to apply to extend your stay in Australia for graduation, further study, a holiday, work or permanent migration.

It is advisable to book a consultation with our Registered Migration Agent if you are planning to use a student visa as a pathway towards a work visa or permanent migration or even if you just want to study in Australia to improve your job prospects in your home country.

At Global Education and Migration Solutions, we can assist you through the student visa process by organising your admission, organising your health insurance [OSHC], advising you about the evidence required to support the student visa application [including GTE requirement, English language proficiency requirement, health requirements and financial capacity requirement], applying for the student visa on your behalf [when you appoint our Registered Migration Agent], organising your health examinations, change of course or education provider [if required], etc.

Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)

The subclass 485 visa is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution.

This visa gives a great opportunity to students to extend their stay in Australia after completing their study and use the extended period to improve their skills and thus “Points” towards skilled migration in Australia.

This visa has 2 streams:

Graduate Work Stream (Length of stay- 18 months)

Post-Study Work Stream (Length of stay- 2 to 4 years)- This stream is applicable to students who applied for their first student visa after 5 November 2011.

Choosing the right stream is vital.

There are various criteria that must be met before the application for this visa can be lodged, including age requirement, AFP Clearance, skills assessment (for Graduate Work Stream), Australian study requirement to have been met within 6 months prior to applying the visa, health insurance, English language ability and the requirement of having held an eligible student visa within the 6 months period prior to lodgement.

This visa gives unrestricted work rights to the visa holders, however, the requirements for the visa grant can be complex and a little oversight can lead to the visa being refused.

It is advisable to book a consultation with our Registered Migration Agent if you are planning to extend your stay in Australia after completing your study from an Australian educational institute.


Contact Us